Sunday, August 31, 2014

This song made me laugh first and then it made me cry…

I originally saw this as a shared video on facebook where it was billed as the Sinhalese version of “Hotel California”. First I thought it was quite funny. But then I started listening to the lyrics and realized there was nothing funny about the subject matter of this song. In fact it brought tears to my eyes. It was a painful cry of an old man forgotten in an old people’s home to his son saying how much he was looking forward to his visit. This is actually a mash up of two popular songs. One is “Sanda nawath Kamak ne” by Asanka Priyamantha. The second being Hotel California which we all know. I wonder if it was intentional or not but by bringing in the chorus of Hotel California the song has become far more powerful deep and ironic to me. Hats off to “ Sachintha Pulasthi” the artiste who put together this song. I wish I had thought of this.

No comments: