Monday, June 2, 2008

You tighten your belt... I will just buy a few more Mercedes

It was a wet Sunday morning... was raining so hard that the last thing you wanted to do was to get out of the house.... I was in a bad mood... not only due to the wet weather but also to the situation in general. The way the cost of living was going up... the way the purchasing power of monthly income seems to reduce that makes me wonder if I will be able to provide a comfortable life for my family for long.... so there I was certainly not being a mister sunshine when i saw the headlines of the Sunday Leader. One of the three papers I buy. It says the government is importing eight brand new Mercedes-Benz S class cars to Sri Lanka. All to take part in some SAARC summit and then to be absorbed in to the presidents pool of vehicles.
Wasn't it a few days back that I read that all of us had to tighten our belts. Isn't this the man who is printing money to pay the government and contributing to inflation. What kind of man is this who will tell others to save while he goes on wasting money regardless of the consequences.
Then I thought in fact most people are like that. We all want others to sacrifice but we really don't want to give up our privileges. What is good for others is not necessarily good for us, so all in all guess good old MR is just one of the boys just like us.

No comments: