Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Quiet…Screaming out loud the praises of the introverted.

I always felt uncomfortable hobnobbing in the cocktail circuit… or even amongst large crowds.
I would feel stressed if I had to walk in to a room full of strangers and mingle for a long time making small talk. Thus making my presence felt at corporate functions are/were a nightmare for me. I would always choose a quiet evening having a drink with a few friends opposed to a large party. Or an intimate dinner for two rather than going out with a large group of people.
And I thought something was wrong with me for being that way.
Then I came across this book called “Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can’t stop talking” by Susan Cain. Well came across is not 100% correct. Actually Amazon threw it at me saying I should read it. It still boggles my mind when I try to think of what kind of sophisticated software they must be using to be able to pin point my reading tastes so accurately.
In this book I realized that nothing was wrong with me. It was just the way God made me. I am an introvert. Most importantly I realized that I had something in common with some of the most successful and accomplished people in the world. People such as Albert Einstien, JK Rowling, Abraham Lincon and Bill Gates. Who were all Introverts. This book gave me useful tips on how to handle myself in a world where Extroverts are worshipped and introverts are looked down upon. But most importantly it also taught me that kids too can be classified into introverts and extroverts and as parents we have to be aware of this and handle them in a manner which is more suited for each individual style. The same goes for employees too. For instance certain people just CANNOT thrive in an open plan office which seems to be the rage in this modern day and age. All in all I am so thankful that Amazon decided to push this book my way because not only did I learn to accept and appreciate myself but also I learnt invaluable information on how important it is to be attuned to the behavior of other people specially of my kids. By doing so I could make a world of difference in their life and their future.

2 comments:

Diva Days said...

oh wow share some insights with me will you ?

sian123h said...

Are introverts looked down on?

Maybe it's just the extroverts make their presence felt more, and introverts can be overlooked, rather than looked down on.