Thursday, June 15, 2017

The difference between Genuine Love and Attachment

Came across this amazingly insightful video on youtube which I wanted to share. Below is the transcript of what was said: "The problem is that always we mistake the idea of love forattachment. We imagine that the grasping and clinging that we have for in our relationships shows that we love, where as actually it is justattachment, which causes pain. Because the more we grasp, the more we are afraid to lose, then if we do lose, of course we are going to suffer.
Attachment says: you know I love you, therefore I want you to make me happy.
Genuine love says: I love you, therefore I want you to be happy. If that includes me, great. If it doesn't include me, I just want your happiness.
Attachment is like holding very tight, but genuine love is like holding very gently, nurturing, but allowing things to flow, not to be held tightly.
The more tight we hold on to others the more we will suffer, but it's very hard for people to understand that, because they think that the more they hold on to someone, the more it shows that they care about them,but it's not.
Its really just that they're holding and grasping so tightly because they are afraid that they themselves will be hurt.
Any kind of relationship that imagines that we can fulfill ourselves through another, is bound to be tricky.
Ideally people should come together already feeling fulfilled within themselves, and thus just appreciating that in the other, rather that expecting the other to supply that well-being, which they don't (but should) feel on their own..."
- Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo

No comments: