Thursday, September 27, 2012

Another Entertaining Read - Spices are sweet by DD


“I don’t want to change the world I just want to get married” these are the words which still remain engraved in my mind as I closed the  last page of “Spices are sweet” by DD. A new book which is just coming into the market. I actually spotted it on books.lk when I was browsing and something about the artwork and the title intrigued me making me buy it.
Damn! I said to myself. I never realized how much pressure there is for a female to get married. Well not just married; but married to the right partner as per the definitions of what is considered right in the eyes of the public. And that can be summarized in three words. Wealth! Family Background!  Education!  It can lead a person to insanity or even worse.
It is a serious problem. But I couldn’t help laughing incessantly and feeling hungry as I devoured this book to the end. Do pardon me for using food metaphors to describe the book but it is done intentionally. 
The writer has handled the subject of “arranged marriages” in a delightfully entertaining manner without compromising on the seriousness of the issue and its impact which is commendable. The writing style is as crisp and zesty as a well prepared salad.  And just like a salad the writer has tossed in lots of other tit bits making it an absolutely delicious read.
For instance there are villains and heroes, gay guys and straight guys, evil sisters and kind grandmothers, village and city life, envious wives and trusting girl friends and amidst all this it is layered with reference to some very nice Indian cuisine which benefitted the Indian food industry in town as I could not resist the urge to consume Indian food whilst reading.  Not just once but (too) many times. Oh and I almost forgot to mention there is also a crazy swami and a drugged pigeon. And the icing on the cake is that the book has a happy ending. What more could you ask for an entertaining read which does not stress you out?

No comments: